The Plant and Soil Sciences Department at Oklahoma State University is an exciting place to study and work.  

University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)

Study Abroad - Reciprocal Exchange Program - University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)

University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)


Check out Michael Grzybowski's great video from his travels throughout the Phillippines at the following link:



University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)

Oklahoma State University & University of the Philippines Los Baños
Reciprocal Student Exchange Program

Guide to OSU's Reciprocal Exchange Study Abroad Programs

UPLB LogoThe University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB), one of Asia's leading comprehensive universities, is renowned for its excellence in education, research, and training.  Over 9,000 undergraduates and 1,000 graduate students attend UPLB.  Its 37,500 acre campus is nestled at the foot of majestic Mount Makiling, adjacent to the city of Los Baños, which is the headquarters of several major Asian agricultural and development research institutions.

UPLB's courses and its academic programs are comparable to those of Oklahoma State University.  As English is the medium of instruction, OSU students will find it easy to interact with Filipino faculty and students.

Program Highlights

Program Details

Applying to the Program
Course Approval
Campus Housing
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Pre-Departure Requirements
Things to Consider Bringing/Doing Before Leaving the US
Traveling to the Philippines
UPLB Campus Contacts and Foreign Student Orientation
Studying at UPLB
Living in Los Baños
Timeline for OSU-IPLB Reciprocal Student Exchange Program

Course Offerings

College of Agriculture
College of Arts and Sciences
College of Development Communication
College of Economics and Management
College of Engineering and Agro-Industrial Technology
College of Forestry and Natural Resources
College of Human Ecology
College of Public Affairs
College of Veterinary Medicine

Program Highlights

Who can participate in the exchange program?

The program is open to undergraduates enrolled in all colleges at OSU, who have completed 45 credits and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

How much will it cost to study for a semester at UPLB?

The cost of studying for a semester at UPLB (14 credit hours) is approximately $10,750, which is about $6,530 LESS than the cost of attending OSU for a semester.

Estimated expenses for one semester (14 credit hours) for 2013-2014 school year.

Undergraduate Coursework
OSU - Oklahoma Resident UPLB
Tuition & Fees $7,650 $7,650
Room & Board $8,530 $1,000
Books & Supplies $1,100 $200
Airfare (round trip) ------- $1,900
Semester Total* $17,280 $10,750

*Costs include tuition and fees, room and board (on-campus or off-campus) and books and supplies. Because cost budgets include many categories, such as personal/miscellaneous and travel expenses, you may spend more or less than the budget estimates.

When can I study at UPLB?

The UPLB Academic Calendar is similar to the OSU Academic Calendar.

Semester 1: August - December
Semester 2: January - May

Can I attend UPLB for two semesters?

Yes, you can study at UPLB for either one or two semesters. Be sure to note on your program application when you plan to attend UPLB.

What courses can I take at UPLB?

UPLB offers over 1,000 courses in agriculture, arts and letters, communications, economics and management, engineering, forestry, human ecology, natural and social science, and veterinary medicine. UPLB courses are very similar to courses offered at OSU. While at UPLB, you will enroll in regularly scheduled classes and earn credits that will apply towards meeting your OSU degree requirements, subject to approval by your department. For more information about courses, contact OSU's Study Abroad Office (

Program Details

Applying to the Program

How do I apply to participate in the exchange program?
Contact the Study Abroad Office, 060 Student Union,, 405-744-8569 to obtain an OSU Study Abroad application and a UPLB application form.  Complete the forms and return them by February 1 for priority consideration.  All applicants will be contacted for an interview and notified by mid March, regarding the decision of the Philippine program selection committee.  See Timeline for OSU-UPLB Reciprocal Student Exchange Program.

Course Approval

How do I get OSU's approval for the courses I want to take at UPLB?

You are allowed to take any course abroad, but if you want the courses to count towards your OSU degree program, the university abroad should offer courses that would match the OSU courses you need.  For your federal financial aid to apply, note that you are required to enroll in courses that apply towards your major.  If you are not concerned with credit transfer, course applicability and financial aid, you are free to choose any courses you wish!  Generally speaking, it is preferable to save some of your electives and/or General Education courses to give you more flexibility when it comes to choosing courses abroad.  Major-specific upper-division courses are sometimes more difficult to find and to transfer back as you wish.  For these reasons, it is important to plan your study abroad experience early when you still have a fairly flexible study program.Contact OSU Study Abroad Office for specific information on the course approval process.   

How do I know that UPLB will allow me to take the courses that I have selected?

Contact OSU Study Abroad Office for questions on the course selection and approval procedure.  Information can also be found on the web at Reciprocal Exchange Application Procedure.

How do I register my selected courses with OSU?

Contact OSU Study Abroad Office for questions on the course registration procedure.  Information can also be found on the web at Reciprocal Exchange Application Procedure.

Can I study the Filipino Language?

While UPLB classes are taught in English, Pilipino is the most widely-spoken local language.  If several OSU students are interested, a non-credit class in Pilipino can be organized for a nominal hourly fee.

Campus Housing

How do I apply for housing at UPLB?

There is no special request needed for housing at UPLB.  Once you are admitted to the program and enrolled in UPLB courses, a reservation will be made for you in the FNP Dormitory.  The FNP Dormitory is reserved specifically for student exchange program participants.  Each dorm room can accommodate two people, has its own bathroom, refrigerator and ceiling fan.  There is a common kitchen and laundry area.  The dorm has Wi-Fi connection (approximately $5/month extra charge).  There is a stay-in family who manages the dorm and provides assistance as needed.  The cost is PHP 3,500*/person/month, or approximately $73/person/month. Select this link for further information on additional dorms.

Apartments outside the UPLB campus are also available for rent from approximately PHP 6,000 to PHP 10,000* per month, or approximately $125 to $210 per month.  However, the student is responsible for making rental arrangements for these apartments.
* See for the current U.S. $ to Philippine Peso (PHP) exchange rate.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Can I receive financial aid while studying at UPLB?

Contact OSU Study Abroad Office for questions on financial aid and scholarships while studying at UPLB.  Information can also be found on the web at Reciprocal Exchange Application Procedure

In addition, some colleges (including the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources) offer study abroad scholarships.  Contact your faculty advisor for information on scholarships or travel assistance for study abroad opportunities.

The Freeman Foundation offers scholarships to students studying abroad in Asia.  The application deadline is early March.  Also, the Gilman Foundation offers scholarships for study abroad in Asia.  The application deadline is early February.


Pre-Departure Requirements

How do I obtain a US passport?

You must obtain a US passport before you can travel to the Philippines.  Because it may take up to two months for the State Department to process your passport application, apply for your passport as soon as possible, or at least by early January.  For more information, see

How do I obtain a Philippines visa?

You don't need to obtain a visa before traveling to the Philippines.  U.S. citizens may enter the Philippines without a visa upon presentation of their U.S. passport, valid for at least six months after the date of entry into the Philippines, and a return ticket to the United States or an onward ticket to another country.  Upon arrival, immigration authorities will annotate the traveler’s passport with an entry visa valid for 21 days.  After you arrive on the UPLB campus, the Office of International Linkages will obtain the visa that you need to study at UPLB.

What vaccinations should I take?

OSU recommends that you make an appointment at University Health Services to receive a health orientation and obtain all recommended vaccinations.  During your visit to University Health Services, the staff can provide you written information on how to stay healthy.


Things to Consider Bringing/Doing Before Leaving the US

What consumer goods are available in Los Baños/Manila?

In Los Baños, you can buy almost everything that is available in Stillwater, and if it's not available in Los Baños, it's definitely available in Manila.  However, if you take any special prescription drugs, you may want to bring a supply of these items to the Philippines.

Can I bring my electronic equipment?

In the US, our electricity is 110 volts but in the Philippines it is 220 volts.  Most new cell phone chargers and notebook computer power supplies have 110-240 volt adapters, so it is no problem to use this type of equipment.  However, if you plan to bring other electronic equipment (radio, hair dryer, etc.) be sure to purchase a 110-220 step-up transformer before traveling to the Philippines.  Be careful!  If you plug a US appliance that is not compatible (i.e., 110 volts) into a socket in the Philippines, without using a transformer, you will burn out the appliance!

Most students will want to have a cell phone for use while at UPLB.  One easy way is to buy an unlocked GSM quad band cell phone, and purchase a SIM card with airtime  when you arrive in UPLB.  This allows you to send and receive local and international calls and text.  Your parents can text you for free using or other text services.

What type of clothing should I bring?

The climate of the Philippines is tropical.  Summer (March to May) is always hot and dry, with an average daily maximum temperature in the low 90s.  The rainy season (June to October) is typically cooler, with temperatures typically in the 80s.  In the winter (November to February), the climate is cool and dry, with the daily maximum in the mid-80s.  Light cotton clothing can be worn throughout the year.

Should I designate someone in the US as my power of attorney?

Yes.  Complete the forms required to appoint someone as your power of attorney.  Then your designee will be able to file your US tax forms, renew your car registration, etc.


Traveling to the Philippines

When do classes begin at UPLB?

Classes for UPLB's 1st semester begin in mid-August.  However, you must arrive two weeks prior to the beginning of classes for your medical examination at University Health Service (UHS) and to participate in the new student orientation and the Convocation. So, plan to arrive in the Philippines by August 1.  Classes for the first semester end in early-December and the final exam period is mid-December. UPLB's 2nd semester begins in early January and ends in late May.


  • Travel to the Phillipines. Plan to arrive at UPLB by August 1.
  • Chest x-ray, health screen, class enrollment (first week of August).
  • Beginning of classes at UPLB (second week of August).

December -

  • Last day of classes (early-December)
  • Final exam period (mid-December)

Who will arrange for my travel to the Philippines?

Students must make their own travel arrangements.  Ask your travel agent for student fares.  A round-trip ticket costs approximately $1,900.  Filipino travel agents typically offer the lowest fares.

How will I get from the Manila airport to Los Baños (UPLB)?

If you give the Office of Study Abroad your arrival time and flight, this information will be sent to UPLB.  UPLB will send a car and driver to pick you up at the airport and take you to the UPLB campus.  This service is provided free of charge.


UPLB Campus Contacts and Foreign Student Orientation

In case of an emergency, how can my parents contact me?

Dr. Jean Loyola, Director, Office of Institutional Linkages, is OSU's contact at UPLB.  Your parents can contact her by phone (011-63-049-536-2239) or e-mail (  The time in Los Baños is 13 hours ahead of Stillwater (12 hours when the US is on daylight savings time).

Who will help me to get settled in at UPLB?

The OSU-UPLB Study Abroad Program is coordinated by UPLB's Office of Institutional Linkages (OIL).  As soon as you arrive on campus, go to the OIL office and a staff member who will take you to the dorm and answer your questions.

How do I register/enroll, once I arrive at UPLB?

When you meet with Dr. Loyola, she will tell you what you need to do to register.

Who will be my academic advisor?

Each OSU student will be assigned an academic advisor, who is a faculty member in the student's department.  Dr. Loyola will introduce you to the Dean of the college, who will assign you an advisor.

Is an orientation provided to new foreign students?

Yes, UPLB's Office of Student Affairs, International Student Services, will host an orientation for new foreign students.


Studying at UPLB

How are classes at UPLB different form classes at OSU?

While classes at UPLB are very similar to those offered at OSU, the grading scale ranges from 1.0 (4.0 at OSU) to 5.0 (failed).  Also, UPLB has a strict attendance requirement.  "The number of absences from a class should be less than 20 percent of the hours of the scheduled work or you will be dropped from the rolls" and receive a 5.0.

How much will I have to spend on books?

Students attending UPLB typically spend less than $200 per semester for books and supplies.

Living in Los Baños

How can I learn more about what it's like to live in Los Baños?

A great deal of useful information about the Los Baños community and UPLB can be found online at Wikipedia.

Where will I live while studying at UPLB and how much will it cost?

OSU students may live on campus in a dormitory.  Double rooms are available for $73 per month.

May I find my own living accommodations?

Students are free to find their own housing after arriving at UPLB.  However, we recommend that you reserve a room at the dormitory so that you will have a place to stay when you arrive. As soon as you find an apartment, you may move off campus.

Where can I eat my meals?

You can eat either at one of UPLB's cafeterias (SEARCA and Student Union Cafeteria), which offer a wide selection of food choices at modest prices, or at off-campus restaurants.
Food costs will average $100-$120 per month.

On-campus cafeterias include:

SEARCA and Student Union Cafeteria: ala carte menu (approximately $1.00/meal).
The International Rice Research Institute's cafeterias are inexpensive ($0.90-$1.15/meal), but it is very far from the main campus.  Just outside the campus entrance, you will find many fast food restaurants, local short-order cafes, and a few upscale restaurants.

Off-campus restaurants (range of prices for meals and drinks) include:

Restaurants located at/near Vega Centre (located at front gate of UPLB)

Dunkin' Donuts
Kentucky Fried

Restaurants at Olivarez Plaza Mall

Greenwich Pizza
Pizza Hut

Where can I access the internet?

The FNP Dormitory has Wi-Fi connection (approximately $5/month charge).  Also, there are several internet cafes near campus, where you can send/receive e-mail and surf the internet.  One internet café--Computer Galore--charges $1.50/hour for internet access.  You may want to set up a free Hotmail or Yahoo account before leaving OSU, and configure your OSU email account to forward your e-mail to your Hotmail/Yahoo address.

Where can I use a computer?

Many students find it convenient to type papers at one of the off-campus Internet cafes, which charge approximately $0.75 per hour for using a computer.  However, if you have a notebook computer it is recommended that you bring it with you.

Are automatic teller machines available in Los Baños?

Yes, several banks have ATM machines which are connected to the CIRRUS network.  You can use your ATM card to withdraw money from your US bank, but your money will be denominated in Philippine pesos.  Don't bring a lot of cash!  Instead, buy travelers checks, which you can change to pesos at any bank.

What medical facilities are available?

UPLB has a campus University Health Service (UHS) similar to OSU's University Health Services.  In addition, there are two hospitals in Los Baños, the Los Baños Doctors Hospital and St. Jude Family Hospital.  Also, the Calamba Medical Center is in nearby Calamba City.  If you should require specialized care, there are several excellent medical facilities in Manila, including the Makati Medical Center and the Philippine General Hospital.

How can I travel from Los Baños to Manila?

There is no need to worry about local transportation around campus and to/from Los Baños.  Public transportation (jeepney) is plentiful and low cost. Jeepneys are constantly available for short hauls around campus and to town for 15 cents per ride for students.  Shuttle buses are available at the Administration building for trips to the Institute of Plant Breeding and the International Rice Research Institute at scheduled times during the day.


Timeline for OSU-UPLB Reciprocal Student Exchange Program


  • Attend a Philippines program orientation meeting.
  • See your academic advisor to select the courses that you want to take at UPLB.
  • Meet with OSU Study Abroad Office for course approval details.
  • Apply for a US passport.


  • Submit your program application to the Study Abroad Office by February 1.
  • Be interviewed by the Philippine program selection committee.  You will be notified regarding your acceptance in the program in late February.


  • Submit your scholarship application to the Study Abroad Office by March 1.
  • Submit your Request for Enrollment in UPLB Courses to the Office of Study Abroad by March 1.


  • Visit University Health Services for your international travel orientation.

July - August

  • Travel to the Philippines.  Plan to arrive at UPLB by August 1.
  • Chest x-ray, health screen, class enrollment (first week of August).
  • Beginning of classes at UPLB (second week of August).

December -

  • Last day of classes (early-December).
  • Final exam period (mid-December).


Map of Philippines




Document Actions